Alan Leist, Jr., CFP
Chief Executive Officer
Problem-Solver. Seasoned Trailblazer. Proud Owner. A nationally recognized advisor distilling decades of experience to clients and the next generation of Strategic Professionals.
Alan is the founder and Chief Executive Officer of Strategic. For over 35 years he has developed and coordinated optimal investment, estate and financial plan strategies for a highly diverse group of individuals and business. Alan is a nationally recognized advisor with a dual passion for helping clients and distilling decades of experience to the next generation of Strategic Professionals.
Strategic emerged from humble beginnings back in 1979 as a one-room office in downtown Utica, N.Y. Today, Strategic has grown into a business that employs 27 people and serves over 600 individuals, 33 not-for-profit organizations and 35 corporate retirement plans. Over the course of three decades, Alan has navigated bull and bear markets, facing a significant increase in competition and rapid industry evolution with an unwavering commitment for delivering the highest levels of quality and service to each and every client. This founding principle is embodied throughout the firm and validated every day by Strategic’s long-standing client relationships.
Alan and the Strategic team have been named among Barron’s Top 100 Independent Advisors six times. He has also been a speaker at the annual Barron’s Top 100 conference on topics including organizational structure and efficiency, and critical strategies in retirement income planning.
Prior to founding Strategic, Alan held management positions with Chicago Pneumatic Tool Company, Elder Pharmaceuticals and Xerox Corporation.
- Certified Financial Planner (CFP)
- MBA, Fairleigh Dickinson University
- BA, Sociology, Syracuse University
Community Service and Board Seats
- Board of Directors, AAA Motor Club Holdings
- Chairman of the Investment Committee
- Board of Directors, AAA Northeast
- Board of Directors, Utica First Insurance Company
- Immediate Past Chairman of the Board
- Chairman of the Nominating Committee
- Board of Directors, Indium Corporation of America
- Member of the Advisory Group, Central New York Community Arts Council
- Board of Directors, Slocum Dickson Foundation
- President, Central New York Community Arts Council
- Board of Directors, BlueCross BlueShield
- Board of Directors, Children’s Museum of Utica, NY
- Board of Directors, St. Luke’s Memorial Hospital
Areas of Specialty
Client Relationship Management
Financial & Estate Planning
Small Business Planning & Consulting
Beneath the Surface
Claim to Fame
In 1989 he set the course record at the Sadaquada CC in Whitestown, NY with a round of 63
Bass fishing, golfing, traveling and spending time with his family and four grandchildren
Alan and his wife Connie have three children. Libby is a senior producer for NBC’s Today Show, Alan III is a Senior Advisor and Principal at Strategic and Michael leads the business development and marketing efforts for the firm.
The only way to coast is downhill