What is Tax Identity Theft?
Tax identity theft occurs when someone using your social security number to obtain a tax refund or obtains a job. Typically, you find out when you receive a letter from the IRS stating that more than one tax return was filed in your name, or IRS records show reported wages from an employer that you do not know.
If you receive such a letter:
- Contact the IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit @ 800.908.4490
- Visit IdentityTheft.gov to report and receive a recovery plan
What are IRS imposter scams?
In this scam, someone is posing as the IRS and contact you saying that you owe taxes or attempting to collect personal information. They usually threaten arrest if you do not pay right away using a prepaid debit card or wire transfer. They often spoof caller ID making the call look like it is coming from Washington, DC.
What to do and what to watch out for in this type of scam?
- The IRS does not initiate contact via email or social media to request personal information.
- The IRS does not threaten arrest or deportation if you fail to pay immediately.
- The IRS does not ask you to pay with prepaid debit cards, wire transfers, or ask for a credit card number over the phone.
- The IRS notifies you of unpaid taxes via mail.
- The legitimate IRS website always starts with www.irs.gov
- Report scams to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration @ 800.366.4484 or online @ https://www.treasury.gov/tigta/contact_report_scam.shtml
Additional ways to keep your social security number and other personal information safe:
- Do not carry your social security card with you.
- Only share SSN when necessary. Only share it when you initiate contact, or you are sure you know who is asking for it.
- Check your credit report annually. (https://www.annualcreditreport.com or call 877.322.8228)
- Check your SSN earnings statement annually. (https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/statement.html)
- Keep your computer up to date with security patches and use firewalls and antivirus/antimalware.
- Use complex and different passwords for all accounts. When possible enable multi-factor authentication.
Founded in 1979, Strategic is a leading investment and wealth management firm managing and advising on client assets of over $1.8 billion.Overview
Strategic Financial Services, Inc. is a SEC-registered investment advisor. The term “registered” does not imply a certain level of skill or training. “Registered” means the company has filed the necessary documentation to maintain registration as an investment advisor with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes and should not be considered investment advice or a recommendation of any particular security, strategy or investment product. Every client situation is different. Strategic manages customized portfolios that seek to properly reflect the particular risk and return objectives of each individual client. The discussion of any investments is for illustrative purposes only and there is no assurance that the adviser will make any investments with the same or similar characteristics as any investments presented. The investments identified and described do not represent all of the investments purchased or sold for client accounts. Any representative investments discussed were selected based on a number of factors including recent company news or earnings release. The reader should not assume that an investment identified was or will be profitable. All investments contain risk and may lose value. There is no assurance that any investments identified will remain in client accounts at the time you receive this document.
Some of the material presented is based upon forward-looking statements, information and opinions, including descriptions of anticipated market changes and expectations of future activity. Strategic Financial Services believes that such statements, information, and opinions are based upon reasonable estimates and assumptions. However, forward-looking statements, information and opinions are inherently uncertain and actual events or results may differ materially from those reflected in the forward-looking statements. Therefore, undue reliance should not be placed on such forward-looking statements, information and opinions.
No content on this website is intended to provide tax or legal advice. You are advised to seek advice on these matters from separately retained professionals.
All index returns, unless otherwise noted, are presented as price returns and have been obtained from Bloomberg. Indices are unmanaged and cannot be purchased directly by investors.